Mindful Eating Made Simple With the 5-S Plan
When stress is overwhelming and you find yourself eating too quickly or reaching for food to help you cope, take a moment to pause and appreciate the food in front of you.
- Sit: Always sit down when you eat. The act of sitting generally makes you eat at a slower pace compared to eating while standing. Be sure to not have the television on in front of you, because that is an automatic distraction.
- Smile and say thanks: Who does not feel good after they smile? By being appreciative of the food in front of you, you will approach the meal with a sense of gratitude, knowing that not everyone has easy access to food.
- See: Take a moment to look at your food. Look at all of the colors and textures of each ingredient in your meal.
- Smell: Can you notice different aromas and seasoning nuances to the meal in front of you?
- Savor: This is often the most difficult part of the 5-S Plan because you will focus on chewing slowly and savoring each bite of the meal in front of you. Try to challenge yourself by chewing each bite at least 20 seconds. Do not pick up another bite of food until after you swallow your current bite.