The Benefits of a Healthy Breakfast
Adults who report regularly eating a healthy breakfast are more likely to:
- Eat more vitamins and minerals
- Control their weight
- Control their blood sugar levels
- Perform better at work
The basics of a healthy breakfast
Here’s the core of a healthy breakfast:
- Whole grains. Examples include whole-grain rolls and bagels, hot or cold whole-grain cereals, whole-grain English muffins, and whole-grain waffles.
- Lean protein. Examples include eggs, lean meat, legumes and nuts.
- Low-fat dairy. Examples include milk, plain or lower sugar yogurts, and low-fat cheeses, such as cottage cheese and natural cheeses.
- Fruits and vegetables. Examples include fresh or frozen fruits and vegetables, 100 percent juice drinks without added sugar, and fruit and vegetable smoothies.