Better Digestion With These 5 Foods
- Whole Grains: Doctors say that if you want your gut to work better, choose whole grains, since optimal colon function requires at least 25 grams of fiber daily.
- Leafy Greens: Leafy greens, such as spinach or kale, are excellent sources of fiber, as well as nutrients like folate, vitamin C, vitamin K and vitamin A. Research shows that leafy greens also contain a specific type of sugar that helps fuel growth of healthy gut bacteria.
- Lean Protein: People with IBS or bowel sensitivity should stick with lean proteins and avoid foods that are rich in fat, including fried foods.
- Low Fructose Fruits: berries and citrus fruits, such as oranges and grapefruit, contain less fructose, making them easier to tolerate and less likely to cause gas. Bananas are another low-fructose fruit that are fiber-rich and contain inulin, a substance that stimulates the growth of good bacteria in the gut.
- Avocado: Avocado is a superfood packed with fiber and essential nutrients, such as potassium, which helps promote healthy digestive function. It’s also a low-fructose food, so it’s less likely to cause gas.