Onions are highly nutritious and have been associated with several benefits, including improved heart health, better blood sugar control, and increased bone density.
What are the 9 Great Benefits of Onions?
- Onions are packed with nutrients – Onions are low in calories yet high in nutrients, including vitamin C, B vitamins, and potassium.
- Onions may benefit heart health – Research shows that eating onions may help reduce heart disease risk factors, such as high blood pressure, elevated triglyceride levels, and inflammation.
- Onions are loaded with antioxidants – Red onions are rich in anthocyanins, which are powerful plant pigments that may protect against heart disease, certain types of cancer, and diabetes.
- Onions contain anti-cancer compounds – A diet rich in allium vegetables like onions may have a protective effect against certain cancers.
- Onions help to control blood sugar – Due to the many beneficial compounds found in onions, consuming them may help reduce high blood sugar.
- Onions my boost bone density – Studies show that onion consumption is associated with improved bone mineral density.
- Onions have antibacterial properties – Onions have been shown to inhibit the growth of potentially harmful bacteria like E. coliand S. aureus.
- Onions may boost digestive health – Onions are a rich source of prebiotics, which help boost digestive health, improve bacterial balance in your gut, and benefit your immune system.
- Onions are easily added to your diet – Onions can easily be added to savory dishes, including eggs, guacamole, meat dishes, soups, and baking goods.