Knock the Sugar Off and Get Great Health Benefits
- Sugar is high in calories: Refined sugar is high in calories and has no nutritional value. Consuming large amounts of refined sugar can lead to weight gain and obesity, which can increase the risk of developing several health problems, such as type 2 diabetes, heart disease, and certain types of cancer.
- Sugar can cause insulin resistance: Refined sugar causes a rapid spike in blood sugar levels, which can cause the body to produce insulin to bring the levels back down. Over time, this can lead to insulin resistance, a condition in which the body becomes less sensitive to insulin and is less able to regulate blood sugar levels.
- Sugar can increase inflammation: Consuming high amounts of refined sugar has been shown to increase inflammation in the body, which can contribute to the development of several chronic diseases, such as heart disease, cancer, and Alzheimer’s disease.
- Sugar can cause tooth decay: Refined sugar is a major contributor to tooth decay and gum disease. When sugar is consumed, the bacteria in the mouth produce acid, which can erode tooth enamel and cause cavities.
- Sugar can lead to addiction: Refined sugar can be addictive, as it activates the same reward centers in the brain as drugs of abuse. This can lead to cravings and a cycle of overconsumption, which can be difficult to break.