To keep my health!
To do my work!
To see to it I grow and gain and give!
Never to look behind me for an hour!
To wait in weakness, and to walk in power;
But always fronting onward to the light,
Always and always facing towards the right.
Robbed, starved, defeated, fallen, wide astray—
On, with what strength I have!
Back to the way!
Charlotte Perkins Gilman
A light heart lives long. ~ Shakespeare
Emotional wellness is the ability to successfully handle life’s stresses and adapt to change and difficult times. Here are tips for improving your emotional health: (Source: NIH)
BRIGHTEN YOUR OUTLOOK
People who are emotionally well, experts say, have fewer negative emotions and are able to bounce back from difficulties faster. This quality is called resilience. Another sign of emotional wellness is being able to hold onto positive emotions longer and appreciate the good times.
TO DEVELOP A MORE POSITIVE MINDSET:
1. Remember your good deeds. Give yourself credit for
the good things you do for others each day.
2. Forgive yourself. Everyone makes mistakes. Learn from what went wrong, but don’t dwell on it.
3. Spend more time with your friends. Surround yourself with positive, healthy people.
4. Explore your beliefs about the meaning and purpose of life. Think about how to guide your life by the principles that are important to you.
5. Develop healthy physical habits. Healthy eating, physical activity, and regular sleep can improve your physical and mental health.
The fork is your most powerful tool to change your health and the planet; food is the most powerful medicine to heal chronic illness.
Mark Hyman, M.D.
Even a happy life cannot be without a measure of darkness, and the word happy would lose its meaning if it were not balanced by sadness. It is far better take things as they come along with patience and equanimity. ~ Carl Jung
The psychologist, Carl Jung, points out that we learn about the essential good things of life by their absence. How often have you and I heard, or said, “If I only knew?” Or, “It feels so good, to feel so good again?”
What lessons has life taught you about its essential good things when they were missing from your life?
I’ve learned many lessons. Among them, never lose a moment to share my love is at the top of my list.